Prof Owen Lewis
Professor of Ecology
I am a community ecologist and conservation biologist. My interest is in the processes that maintain, structure and threaten biodiversity, particularly in highly diverse tropical forest ecosystems. My current research areas include the impact of human activities (including fragmentation and commercial timber extraction) on the diversity and functioning of tropical forest ecosystems; the structure and dynamics of food webs involving plants, insect herbivores and their parasitoids; the role of plant pathogens and insect herbivores in structuring and maintaining the high diversity of tropical plants; and the impact of climate change, habitat fragmentation and degradation on interspecific interactions and associated ecosystem functions and services.
For a full list of publications, please visit my Google Scholar profile or view my orcid profile:
- Terry, J.C., Chen, J. & Lewis, O.T. (2021). Natural enemies have inconsistent impacts on the coexistence of competing species. Journal of Animal Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/1365-2656.13534.
- Bellekom, B., Hackett, T.D. and Lewis, O.T. (2021). A network perspective on the vectoring of human disease. Trends in Parasitology, doi.org/10.1016/j.pt.2020.12.001.
- Molecular analyses reveal consistent food web structure with elevation in rainforest Drosophila – parasitoid communities. Ecography, doi.org/10.1111/ecog.
- Gripenberg, S., Basset, Y., Lewis, O.T., Terry, J.C.D., Wright, S.J., Simón, I., Fernandez, D.C., Cedeño, M., Rivera, M., Barrios, H., Brown, J.W, Calderón, O., Cognato, A.I., Kim, J., Miller, S., Morse, G.E., Pinzon-Navarro, S., Quicke, D.L.J., Robbins, R.K., Salminen, J-P. & Vesterinen, E. (2019) A highly-resolved food web for insect seed predators in a species-rich tropical forest. Ecology Letters, doi.org/10.1111/ele.13359.
- Wong, M.K.L., Guénard, B. & Lewis, O.T. (2018). Trait-based ecology of terrestrial arthropods. Biological Reviews, doi.org/10.1111/brv.12488.
- Staniczenko, P.P.A., Lewis, O.T., Tylianakis, J.M., Albrecht, M., Coudrain,V., Klein, A-M., Reed-Tsochas, F. (2017). Predicting the effect of habitat modification on networks of interacting species. Nature Communications, 8, 792. doi:10.1038/s41467-017-00913-w
- Bagchi, R., Gallery, R.E., Gripenberg, S., Gurr, S.J., Narayan, L., Addis, C.E., Freckleton, R.P. & Lewis, O.T. (2014) Pathogens and insect herbivores drive rainforest plant diversity and composition. Nature, 506: 85-88.
- Tylianakis, J.M., Tscharntke, T. & Lewis, O.T. (2007) Habitat modification alters the structure of tropical host-parasitoid food webs. Nature, 445, 202-205